Whether you’re moving across town or across the county, making sure that you can feel confident that your belongings will get to your new home safely is key. At Red Rover, we offer two different moving and storage container sizes, which you can put directly on the back of a moving truck and bring straight to your new home! You can take complete control of your moving experience, while keeping your belongings safe and sound. Before you get settled in for the drive, though, you need to pack and fill your container. Check out our inside tips below for packing your Red Rover container for your next move.
Step 1: Choose Your Container Size
Although choosing the size of the container you need is not technically part of the packing process, it is still a crucial step that needs to be completed accurately. Going too small means you’ll run out of room for your stuff, while going too big can make the process feel less cost-effective. Take stock of everything you need to bring with you on your move and what exactly will be going into the container. We recommend making a list, as some items (especially for nearby moves) are likely to be brought to your new home at a different time. Our containers at Red Rover can be rented in combination for additional savings if you need that extra space. Our available container sizes are best suited for the following amount of goods:
- 8-Foot Container - 1-2 rooms worth of goods (431 cubic feet of storage, 8’ x 8’ x 8’)
- 16-Foot Container - 3-4 rooms worth of goods (866 cubic feet of storage, 8’ x 8’ x 16’)
Remember, the amount of space you need will partly depend on how efficiently you are able to load your container.
Step 2: Preparation
Once you’ve chosen your container size and set your moving date, it’s time to start preparing to pack your Red Rover container. Get organized by setting aside boxes for each room and stocking up on other packing supplies like bubble wrap, tape, and labels. Keeping things organized will make unpacking much easier when you reach your new home. If you are renting two storage containers for your move, make a list of what is going in each one. This is crucial for keeping track of your boxes and finding things easily throughout the moving process.
Packing up smaller items is, of course, much easier than larger ones, but be sure to wrap up anything breakable and take the steps needed to protect your old home from any damage while moving things around. Pack your boxes as fully as you can without them being too heavy - this helps optimize the space you have and makes it less likely for loose items in boxes to get damaged during the move. Don’t forget to label boxes that contain fragile items so everyone is aware of what to be most careful with.
Step 3: Packing Your Red Rover Container
Once all of your furniture is broken down and your boxes are packed up, it’s time to fill your Red Rover container! There are several things you should keep in mind while filling each container, to properly protect your belongings and take full advantage of the space you have. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Whatever you pack first will be unloaded last. Save your most essential items to place in the container once the rest of it is full.
- Heavier items should be placed on the floor of the container and spread evenly throughout, so that one side is not overloaded. Red Rover’s 8-foot containers have a weight limit of 5,500 pounds. Our 16-foot containers can hold up to 7,700 pounds.
- Fill the space between the floors and ceilings with any mattresses you are bringing along with you.
- Heavier containers or pieces of furniture should be used as a base for lighter boxes.
- Fragile items should be placed where they will not be prone to shifting or falling.
- Boxes of a similar shape should be stacked on top of each other.
- Avoid stacking boxes from floor to ceiling of the container unless the base is extremely sturdy.
- Ropes or straps can provide some extra help in keeping items from shifting throughout the drive.
Once you’re done packing up your container, remember to lock it to protect your belongings whenever it is unattended. Our 8-foot container requires two locks.
Step 4: Get Moving!
Once your containers are packed, locked, and loaded onto a truck, it’s time to move! Each storage unit rental from Red Rover comes with a free moving truck, designed for the “every-day” driver. Our trucks are available in 8-foot, 16-foot, and 24-foot sizes. They’re easy to use and equipped with a number of safety features and conveniences, including:
- Backup camera
- Collision avoidance system with lane departure warning
- Free to use bumper mounted dolly
- Free roadside assistance
- Sanitized between every use
Benefits of Red Rover’s Fetchable Storage Solutions
When you utilize Fetchable Storage from Red Rover for your next move, you’ll be empowered to take complete control of your moving and storage solution. Since your storage container from Red Rover is loaded directly onto a moving truck, you won’t have to pack up your items twice. You can drive your truck wherever you need to go - it’s free to use for up to 30 miles! Our containers are equipped with several features that set them apart from other moving and storage options. Benefits you’ll have access to include:
- Solid steel construction with galvanized steel frame
- Weather-resistant to keep contents safe
- Barn style doors for easy access to your items
- Sanitized between each use
- Equipped with maximum usable storage space
- Industrial grade latching/locking system for high security
- D-ring tie-downs throughout the container to secure your items
Find a Portable Storage Solution Near You with Red Rover
As you plan for your next move, make the right choice when it comes to portable storage by partnering with Red Rover. Our 8-foot and 16-foot Fetchable Storage solutions can be filled at your old home, loaded onto a free moving truck, and driven to your new home as easily as possible, taking some of the stress out of the moving process. We want you to have a safe and comfortable moving experience while keeping your belongings safe too. Trust Red Rover to provide you with everything you need for a successful move - call us today to learn more about our local and long-distance moving services.